Sat, Sep. 12th, 2009, 10:05 pm
the last few days have been TERRIBLE so i am going to go read giles goat-boy and diary of a thief and probably some frigging sartre and try to hang with friends without boring them about my petty upsets.
i bought a pair of those butt-cushioned bike shorts, so hopefully it'll quit raining so i can test them out.
grad school is good though, and i like my new apartment, though my room is about 1/3 the size of my last room. ah, to be 28.
Thu, Sep. 3rd, 2009, 08:00 am
Hey guys, grad school is crazy, but if it means I can gain some respectability by writing about Brechtian influence in Lars von Trier's USA: Land of Opportunity series, then fuck it.
Mon, Aug. 10th, 2009, 04:51 pm
i'm moving to a new house in a few days, then i go to paris with my best friend, then i come back and immediately dive into classes: a typical research for grad students class, a directing class, and a contemporary world theatre class. and i'm leaving my job january 31. and kicking myself a little bit, because i could've had an assistantship this year, but my advisor made it clear that i can have one next year.
Sun, Jul. 5th, 2009, 05:40 pm
i don't post here much anymore, but
i got in to grad school. in september, i'll be pursuing an m.a. in theatre history and dramaturgy at texas state university. most likely, it'll take me 2 years, maybe 2 1/2. after that, who knows? if the first year goes well, i'm hoping to quit my job by my 29th birthday to be a full-time student the second year.
i'm really excited. this is something i'd aimed to do when i decided to move out of massachusetts, and i'm pretty proud and happy that i was able to get in (texas state isn't a particularly competitive school, but the program is small, and it really suits my background and interests). texas state has very limited summer offerings, so i'm also hoping to spend next summer in europe or boston or san francisco, doing some sort of summer theater thing. it feels really nice to have a door open to me like this.
oddly enough, natalie (my middle sister) was accepted for a master's in special education for fall, and my youngest sister, emma, is doing a master's in social work via university of phoenix (yeah, i KNOW, i have reservations about that, too, but if it works, good for her). so we're suddenly ALL in grad school, ages 24, 26, 28.
i'm so excited. i can't even express it. i have a LOT of reading to do. if any of y'all know anything of summer theater programs that sound interesting, let me know, since i'll probably have to start going after that stuff in a few months.
also, i'm buying a (new, not going to catch fire on the highway - oh, have i not shared that story?) car in august or september. which, ugh, doesn't excite me, though the thought of having transportation for band gear/theater and film stuff/road trips DOES.
Sat, May. 9th, 2009, 02:06 am
oh hi everybody. i turned 28 on wednesday. also i did this
more pictures here.
tomorrow it's back to atx. oddly, i may snag the texas travel guide that is for some reason sitting in my dad's living room, because it's full of fun stuff i would like to check out in this ridiculously huge state, since i'm planning to live here through at least august 2010, maybe longer if i do this grad school thing at texas state. yay.
Sun, Mar. 22nd, 2009, 11:24 pm
1) sxsw: next year, i'll make a major effort to see more films. the bands part is a BLAST, but also very tiring. also, next year, i'd like to limit the number of guests welcome in my house to four. this year, we had 12-15 in the house and camping in the back yard, and while that was fun, it was also REALLY tiring.
2) everybody loved patrick. no surprises there. things here are good.
3) i wrote a preview of the boston underground film fest for twitch, here.
the dude running the site liked my piece and is interested in having me write for them on an ongoing basis. i'm excited about this! it was great to do a little cheerleading for my friends, but i'm really interested in a) watching free screeners (har har, but it's true) and b) spreading the word about interesting films. it's become clear to me that friends have begun to respect my opinion regarding films in the past few years, and i'd like to keep it up.
4) many members of earth people orchestra came out to austin this week, and we were taped by a few camera crews and bloggers. a woman from TimeOut NY walked over as we were practicing in my yard. here's her post and video
- yeah, that's my yard, and that's me in the loud dress.
Sat, Mar. 7th, 2009, 10:58 am
i was more disappointed with watchmen than i'd expected.
malin akerman: great, she has a hot ass, but she's the worst actress i've seen in a very long time, and that sad fact shits all over the fascinating character of silk spectre II. there are dozens of gorgeous, TALENTED women who could've filled this role.
i don't want to say much else. once we got to dr. manhattan on mars, i realized that watchmen truly wasn't meant to be made into a movie. i can't imagine what a watchmen noob must've thought seeing this movie.
Tue, Feb. 24th, 2009, 02:39 pm
me and michelle and some other people you may or may not know made this.
please watch. it's crude, as most good comedy should be. if you think it doesn't suck, consider voting for us. if we don't win, we will probably get blackout drunk at the alamo and cause a scene. so. y'know.
seriously, though, this was my first time producing, helping to write a comedy script, and acting on camera (at least, for something that actually ended up screening). it's not perfect, but i'm pretty proud of what we were able to accomplish with very little time and money. :)
Tue, Feb. 17th, 2009, 12:07 pm
everything is good.
on friday, i'll post a youtube of the trailer we shot this weekend. hopefully it will make many of you laugh.
the intervention: the movie gang are amazing and hilarious and talented, and i think we're going to shoot a trailer for 'hundred proof' this summer (hundred proof is a movie idea that came up after michelle and adam saw 'grindhouse' - we joked about it the entire time we were shooting 'douglas'). i told adam and michelle i thought we should try to do something that might help us get funding to shoot it as a feature, and they were interested. really i just want to spend the rest of my life doing ridiculous, fun, wonderful film and music and theater and art things.
i'm sort of wondering if i should get last minute tickets to see philip glass do leonard cohen's 'the book of longing' this weekend. also, dan deacon is playing in a cave in april about an hour from austin. nice. and i might, might, MIGHT be up in nyc/boston in may for no fun fest...post-28th birthday celebrations should probably happen.
Tue, Feb. 10th, 2009, 01:29 pm
i am updating less often, but i have a lot on my plate:
1. i am finally feeling pretty comfortable in austin. a few things could be better (cheaper place so that me and michelle weren't stressing about money every other day, oh and all my credit card and student loan debt could evaporate), but in general, things are happening.
2. drinking with michelle and samantha about a month ago, i pitched an idea for a short film contest entry, and the gals were immediately on board. it'll be up on the web next weekend, and i'll be sure to share the link. team comedy writing has been fun, and michelle deserves a ton of credit for being an incredibly capable screenwriter and all around film guru. seriously. i know she is hella stressed right now, but i repeat that, in spite of the stress of relocating, i am really proud of her and know that bigger money gigs are around the corner for this lady. (they're already starting: she'll be in nyc at the end of the month shooting with some folks from dallas who know she's fantastic!)
3. we have a practice space for the band, though my lack of car/business with a million other things/weeks of people being out of town means i haven't arranged to get keys yet. at any rate, i have a feeling we'll be practicing again by next week.
4. work is going okay.
5. i should have a car by the end of the week. driving lessons with michelle need to resume so she can have an active role in road trips, and get to gigs with less stress.
6. samantha and i impulsively decided to embark on a business venture. that sounds sketchy, but i don't want to announce anything serious for another week or so. it's cool, though.
7. goofy austin antics continue. hence:
(in spite of this image, my friend matt is actually a GOOD unicyclist:)
oh, and this happened:
8. oh and i am, rather unexpectedly, dating an awesome guy.
a big chunk of the austin gang (patrick, yours truly, samantha, and rachel. three bostonians and a coloradoan:)
screenwriting with a pound puppy (colby, sam, me, michelle:)
yarn canopy in zilker park. it has magical properties:
anyway. later dudes! i hope all is well in the great white north, or wherever you are.